Resource Sharing Between production and test environment

Per Bergqvist per@REDACTED
Thu Jul 31 21:25:56 CEST 2003

I think routing the ussd requests over a gen_tcp tcp/ip connection
is a good and elegant way of solving the problem.
Especially if you use packet mode and term_to_binary/binary_to_term
:-)

You should absolutely not attempt to solve the problem with
distributed erlang since it may potentially severely impact
the production system. (e.g. gdb debugging a node in the test system
could potentially stall global locking on all other connected nodes.)

Use /etc/hosts file on all test machines to fake the hosts names on
the hosts in the test system if you really require identical naming
of all hosts.
as long as the host naming is separated between the two systems
it should not be possible to have "hijacked" nodes even if they
use the same cookies (which they shouldn't if you want to be damn
sure).

/Per

-------------------
> Good afternoon all,
>
> I would like to know if the following scenario would be possible
without using tcp/ip connections (gen_tcp connections).

> We have a production system setup and a separate test system setup.
We do however have only 1 x USSD shortcode coming into our production
environment - what we are trying to do - is USSD's from certain
MSISDN's need to be "routed" to the test environment for end to end
testing.

> We have the production environment routing the information to a node
on the test environment - but it seems as if we have a cookie issue -
as sometimes - the production environment hijacs the similarly called
nodes in the test environment.

> Is it possible to have a node becoming a "bridge" node between the
two systems and ensuring that the two systems do not hijack each
other?

> The problem is solved by using tcp/ip connections - but we would
prefer the more elegant erlang approach.

> The information contained in this message and or attachments is
intended
> only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain
> confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review,
retransmission,