Piccola and Pi Calculus

Marc Ernst Eddy van Woerkom Marc.Vanwoerkom@REDACTED
Sun Jul 13 07:20:43 CEST 2003

>   Anybody familiar with Piccola and the Pi Calculus.  It looks
>   like a formalization of the erlang concepts (apparently without
>   any knowledge of the existence of erlang).
>
>   http://iamwww.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Piccola/

Lambda calculus is the traditional mathematical theory behind
functional programming.
It would make sense to come up with an extension regarding
concurrency to model something like Erlang.

How established that Pi calculus is I would like to know.

But perhaps this is all still in research stage and there
is no established theory behind concurrent computation yet.

Some other interesting formal tools I saw last year were
finite automatons over infinite words to model processes,
where certain product constructions are used to model
synchronized and unsynchronized processes.

Regards,
Marc