{error,sticky_directory}

Bengt Kleberg eleberg@REDACTED
Fri Jan 31 07:49:25 CET 2003

> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:49:20 -0800 (PST)
> From: "steve@REDACTED" <shrogers@REDACTED>

...deleted

> 1> c(sets.erl).
> {error,sticky_directory}
>
> =ERROR REPORT==== 30-Jan-2003::22:52:02 ===
> Can't load module that resides in sticky dir
> 2>
>
> What is this telling me?  I might guess that the module is the one I'm trying
to compile and sticky directory is the current directory.

this was on the list a few months ago. good faq candidate, say in
''9. Troubleshooting, Problems and Gotchas''.

according to the manual for the ''code'' module:

	stick_dir(Dir) -> ok | {error, term()}

	      Types:
		    Dir = string()

	This function marks Dir as 'sticky'. The system issues a
	warning and rejects the request if a user tries to re-load a
	module in a sticky directory. Sticky directories are used to
	warn the user about inadvertent changes to system software.

which means that ''sets'' is a system software module. you are not
allowed to replace it. unless you un-stick the directory where system
software module ''sets'' is located.

bengt