io:format memory problem

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Sun Jan 19 09:36:11 CET 2003

Inswitch Solutions - Erlang Evaluation writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > While executing this program, the memory increases constantly.
 > But, if I comment the lines "io:format(.)" it doesn't happen (the
 > memory stabilizes). Is this behaviour correct?

To make it reasonably easy for people to give you a sensible answer,
you need to include a decent description of the problem. Attaching a
short program which demonstrates the problem was a good start, but
there's a lot missing, including:

  1. How much memory do you expect the program to consume when started
     with an argument of 1000?

  2. How much memory does it actually consume?

  3. How long are you waiting before deciding whether memory use has
     stabilised or not?

  4. How are you measuring memory use?

  5. Which version of Erlang are you using? Which OS?

In my case, the answers are: < 10M, < 7M, 30 minutes, 'top' and
R8B/linux. I.e. I'm not seeing anything unexpected.

Matthias