Erlang and Oracle

Ingela Anderton ingela@REDACTED
Wed Feb 26 11:13:35 CET 2003

Kent Boortz wrote:

> Shawn Pearce <spearce@REDACTED> writes:
> > The last time I saw Erlang talking to Oracle was either the researchy
> > OraErl project (won't cut it for us) or the Erlang/ODBC driver, which
> > is only available on Windows (we want to run on Solaris or Linux).
> >
> > Do the Erlang masters have any recommendations?
> >
> > Or do we have to abandon all hope?  :-(
>
> The ODBC application is not only for Windows. We run daily tests on
> Solaris 8, all 72 ODBC test cases are successful. Ingela kan answer
> this better but I think the driver work ok for Solaris and Linux
> (ODBC 3.0) with Oracle,

As Kent says the ODBC application works well on Solaris and there is
no reason why it should not work on Linux too, but then you for sure
have to compile the c-part of the odbc application using the included
makefile and providing the path to your odbc-driver.

See also the users guide
http://www.erlang.org/doc/r9b/lib/odbc-1.0/doc/html/part_frame.html

We test the odbc application on solaris using
Oracle Enterprise release 8.0.5.

There is one thing in the users guide that is not entirely true
anymore. And that is that odbc can only be used with ODBC 3.0 drivers.
In the erlang odbc-1.0.4 and later there is an option
to disable the use of scrollable-cursor and this will have the effect
that you can use at least some 2.X drivers as well.

It is however true that we only made a patch of later releases for the
windows platform. This is mainly due to that our only commercial
customer that uses odbc uses windows. And we have not been aware of
any really  big interest for odbc in other environments so it has not
been a very high priority to make other patches.

--
/m.v.h Ingela

Ericsson AB - OTP team