Patches, Was: Welcome to the Jungerl!

Bengt Kleberg eleberg@REDACTED
Wed Feb 26 10:34:14 CET 2003

> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:10:14 +0100
> To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
> From: Michael Fogeborg <micke@REDACTED>
> Subject: RE: Welcome to the Jungerl!
>
> This (patches are not really tested) just seems to happen more and more often
> (even in telecom) nowadays. Does anyone have a theory on why ?

This is not the way things are done here (ericsson, axd301).

a patch package is often tested at 2 to 3 integration points before
delivery. admitedly, the first place to get my patches might find them
wanting :-(, and the next place up the line could have trouble with
conflicting pathches (happened just last week. a working patch stopped
working in the presence of a another, newer, patch). but not much is
delivered from the last test in a erronus condition.

the main problem is if the customer have something (usually hardware.
sometimes a ''dirty'' database table) that is not present in the test
equipment. then things can fail. even after 3 tests.

bengt