Banned Erlang

Chris Pressey cpressey@REDACTED
Wed Feb 26 01:27:25 CET 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:14:00 +0100 (MET)
Marc Ernst Eddy van Woerkom <Marc.Vanwoerkom@REDACTED> wrote:

> >   For example,
> >   Aspect-Oriented Programming is generating a lot of excitement in OO
> >   circles, and one of the central ideas is "Gee, we have this 'ravioli
> >   code' where nobody knows (or is supposed to know) how the other
> >   parts work, so how do we handle the stuff that doesn't fit inside
> >   individual objects, like concurrency?
>
> Oh, another buzzy one. AOP! :)
>
> What I read in iX journal looked to me like a glorified event handling,
> with events being stuff like entering or leaving certain statement
> blocks. But I might be totally wrong of course.

That was exactly my impression, too: event handling by "macros".
"Everytime I said foo in this code, do bar as well."
At best, a band-aid for people who have decided that OO is The Way.

As for UML - a unified modeling language makes about as much sense to me
as a unified opera language... :)

I guess the idea is that if all software engineers are using the same
notation, UML, and all programmers write in the same language, Java, this
will benefit the industry by commodifying talent.  Too bad academia seems
all too willing to go along with the idea.

-Chris