Banned Erlang

Daniel Dudley daniel.dudley@REDACTED
Tue Feb 25 15:42:04 CET 2003

Ulf Wiger wrote:

> My totally unbiased opinion about UML is that it is
> inherently unsuitable for telecom systems programming.

And my totally unbiased opinion about UML is that it is
inherently unsuitable for *any* programming. Yet another
fad that will eventually die a pitiful death when the
lights go up for all those programmers that never did find
the time to actually program their well-planned models that
are masquerading as an assortment of 1001 diagrams which
all look the same unless they are entitled "sequence diagram
of ..." or "collaboration diagram of..." etc. etc. etc. and
which by the time they are ready to use nobody remembers
what the symbols and figures are supposed to represent and
of course someone forgot to bring along the 752-page manual
so now they're scratching their heads wondering what to do
to avoid the dole queue because what the client really
wanted was something other than a 6-week UML course which
will enable him/her to vaguely understand what it is he/she
might expect for the 10-and-a-half-million bucks they are
parting with and ...

Whew, I could go on but that was a mouthful even for me! :)

Perhaps someone should have let on to IBM before they bought
Rational? (Yes, it's in the box -- IBM email yesterday.)

Daniel