Musings on an Erlang GUI System.

Vlad Dumitrescu (EAW) Vlad.Dumitrescu@REDACTED
Tue Feb 18 08:54:18 CET 2003

Hi again,

>>> Of course the GUI, lets say an editor, and a printout, lets
>>> say the doc it edits would be two different "images".
>>> But why not use the same drawing commands for both?

I tried hard to align myself to the proper "wavelength", because I feel we were talking about slightly different things, and then everybody might be absolutely right! :-)

Is this common language we are talking about something that would replace today's calls to canvas drawing APIs? I.e. instead of using some program that calls the API, we write something more like a Postscript program?

If the answer to that is "yes" then I too agree. In the light of some previous posts, I thought we were talking about 'building GUIs', not only 'drawing/rendering GUIs'. Building GUIs involves also non-visual elements like attaqching event handlers, setting non-visual properties and so on. A language that will be fit to do all of it will probably become just another regular programming language, IMHO.

regards,
Vlad