Musings on an Erlang GUI System.

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Mon Feb 17 20:10:40 CET 2003

From: "Daniel Dudley" <daniel.dudley@REDACTED>
> Vlad Dumitrescu (EAW) wrote:
> > The reason why it is difficult is that an automatic
> > engine has to assess how "beautiful" a layout would look to a
> > person - I don't think this is researched enough...
>
> On the contrary, both Apple and Microsoft have done
> extensive research on this. Both have publish their own
> recommendations on UI design, somewhere on the web.

So that a *program* could look at a GUI description and validate it as
"beautiful" or "ugly"? I don't think so, but if I am wrong I would be the
first to be glad about it.

> > I mean, it makes sense for text, documents, and such,
> > but UI? Do we mean different things by UI? >>
>
> I've been asking myself that, too. Maybe the arguments are
> directed towards the web, *most* of that stuff is text and
> document orientated, ain't it?

That I overlooked; seen like that it make a lot more sense. With GUI in the
general sense I mean even one for a CAD program, or for a game. I don't see
how all those can be fit into the same framework.

regards,
Vlad