Musings on an Erlang GUI System.

Eric Merritt cyberlync@REDACTED
Fri Feb 14 21:46:21 CET 2003

> As a pragmatic individual, I couldn't disagree more
> - a slick look and
> feel is a low priority (when compared to robustness,
> consistency, and
> portability) unless the intent of this project is to
> wow propellerheads,
> middle managers, and other easily-impressionable
> people.

 I understand what you are saying and conceptually I
agree with you. However, in this day and age if you
want it to be used it has to be pretty. In this day
and age, for good or ill, the presentation is as
important as the implementation. Of course, this
only applies if you want it to be used in standard
commercial/open settings.

> Yes, in other words, UI should be an excellent match
> for Erlang because
> UIs are soft real-time.

 I couldn't agree more.

> Again, I completely disagree; having used a lot of
> really bad VB apps, I
> have to say that a UI which has been slapped
> together probably isn't worth
> using.
>
> On the other hand, being able to generate a generic
> form based on the
> underlying data and actions taken by the form would
> is very handy - but
> only for equally generic applications.

 I agree with you, its nice to have but not a
requirement. Thats why I said it could wait.