Musings on an Erlang GUI System. [long, very long] ramble... ramble ...

Bjorn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Fri Feb 14 14:50:37 CET 2003

Some random comments:

1. Based on my expericence with GUI for Wings
   (which now has dialog boxes and some windows),
   I am convinced that Erlang is fast enough to create a
   GUI toolkit (on top of a suitable low-level rendering
   API such as OpenGL).

2. However, it is important to find a good approach and
   good architecture to make the GUI fast enough. Having
   one process per window could be too slow. (If every
   single widget, such as a check box, is a window, there
   could easily be thousands of windows.)

3. Implementing a GUI is incredible time consuming. Many
   different kind of widgets are needed, and you'll need
   ways for them to communicate, and so on.

4. OpenGL could be a good choice for a rendering API
   (it is available from Erlang via ESDL/SDL.)
   However, the only parts from SDL proper that I use
   is the event handling. It could be a good idea write
   a new low-level event toolkit instead of using SDL.
   (It would not be that hard.)

5. I would not recommend borrowing code directly from Wings.
   Although I have tried to have some separation of the Wings
   Window System and Wings The Application, there are of course
   still many dependencies. Also, I still expect to do a lot of
   rewriting. Some of the ideas might be useful, though.

/Bjorn

--
Björn Gustavsson            Ericsson Utvecklings AB
bjorn@REDACTED      ÄT2/UAB/F/P