Extending arithmetic

Peter-Henry Mander erlang@REDACTED
Tue Feb 11 09:04:58 CET 2003

 From what I've been hearing on this discussion, I don't think tuples
are the proper vehicle for multidimentional math, they're just too abstract.

Why not introduce new *numeric* types instead of contriving tuples to
act like numbers? Then there will be less scope for surprises and
exceptions occuring. The overloaded operators will be *little* more
specific too, as I don't see how to determine what TupleA + TupleB does
by simply looking at the statement; what happens when either one or both
represent neither scalors, vectors nor matricies? Do I have to catch a
potential exception? My brain begins to hurt! It's beginning to have the
same problems as you can get with C++, yuk!

Please reconsider.

Pete.