Interesting read about Java

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Mon Feb 10 12:13:43 CET 2003

Interesting, you are the second person to independently
refer this to me ...

The interesting bit was the bit on the combination of rational rose
with Java on Solaris -

 /Joe

-- quote --

2. The JRE is very large.

  The JRE is significantly larger than comparable runtime environments
when considering resident set  size (memory dedicated to this specific
program). It  has been seen  to grow  to as much  as 900M. This  has a
drastic effect on  both performance and resource usage.  It also means
that  multiple  JREs  present  critical resource  constraints  on  the
servers for such thin-client  systems as SunRays. Typical resident set
requirements for Java2 programs include:

Hello World 9M
SMC Server 38M
SLVM GUI 60M
Component Manager 160M
TogetherJ 300 - 900M

  The largest program  in that list is TogetherJ.  From the standpoint
of resource  requirements, TogetherJ does  much of what  Rational Rose
does but Rational Rose appears  to function in less than 250M. Startup
time  is  effected as  well.  For  example,  on an  Ultra10  TogetherJ
requires 5 minutes to load and start. SMC, Sun's flagship system admin
console, takes between one and two  minutes to reach the point that it
can be used.