how to build a megaco-based distributed voip system with erlang?

Peter-Henry Mander erlang@REDACTED
Mon Feb 10 09:06:39 CET 2003

Hi Farzin,

I haven't seen your previous posting, so I apologise if my suggestion of
looking at the megaco examples in the OTP distribution has been made
before. The documentation, although brief, is sufficient to get you
going with a MG and MGC exchanging service change "out of the box" by
using the example code. Have a look here:

http://www.erlang.org/doc/r9b/lib/megaco-1.1.0/doc/html/index.html

I'm currently using the Megaco application as a testing platform for the
product we're currently developing. The gateway controller runs a
variety of "scripts" for positive and negative test cases. The gateway
I've implemented is IP-to-IP, not POTS-to-POTS as you seem to intend. I
have found that the whole Erlang-Megaco package is ideal for
prototyping, and performance is very good on Linux (not quite so good on
MS-Windows).From my personal experience with the Megaco stack I can say
that it has consistently performed much better than any other similarly
specified Megaco test equipment on the market today. It simply roars on
a PC, so I imagine that on dedicated hardware it should be quite
satisfactory. Furthermore, I have found that the concurrent nature of
Erlang scales easily and effectively. The software I've written uses
simple servers for a lot of tasks so if I need more power, I plug in
another PC, and delegate tasks to that node.

As for reasons for deployment of carrier grade solutions, I think that
the guys at Ericsson have plenty of examples of carrier grade equipment
implemented in Erlang which has an enviable reputation for solidity.

Pete.