Brain Dump #1

Steven H. Rogers, PhD. steve@REDACTED
Sat Feb 8 22:28:08 CET 2003

Mickael Remond wrote:
> ... we should not under estimate the difficulty. Zope is
> mainly successfull as an application. The feature and the huge number of
> applications and components are the key of its success.
> The most sensible argument for running zope is because the application
> you want to use is written for the Zope framework.
Right.  Zope does a lot and providing a comparable level of
functionality is a non-trivial task.  Zope is also easy to get running
and if the available applications serve your purposes, it's easy to get
most of them running as well.  Things are a lot tougher, though, if you
need to completely new application.

Before getting too far, we'd need some design goals and agreed upon
priorities.

> Zope is very flexible because it is built around its object database. We
> could think about using a functional approach to that based on use of
> anonymous functions. Basically type, structure and funs to create and
> render the object, depending on their type. These could be configurable
> by the platform administrator.
> We could use Mnesia as a basis for a first prototype.

Why would we only use Mnesia for prototyping?

>>Mitch Kapor is doing something similar to what you're proposing with his
>>Chandler (Interpersonal Information Management) project:
>>http://www.osafoundation.org/architecture.htm  He and his group have put
>>a lot of thought into this.
>

> Thank you for sharing this link.

You're welcome.

--
  _    Steven H. Rogers, PhD.
<_`   email: steve@REDACTED
| \   "A language that doesn't affect the way you think about
       programming is not worth knowing." - Alan Perlis