Brain Dump #1

Steven H. Rogers, PhD. steve@REDACTED
Sat Feb 8 15:54:55 CET 2003

Marc Ernst Eddy van Woerkom wrote:
> Of course Zope can do more, like executing some DHTML stuff or
> perhaps executing extra python modules, but I did not touch that area.
>
> I also had a look on the Python sources, but found them very hard
> to understand (ok it is better than Perl in that regard).
>
> An attempt to understand the Zope book was fruitless as well, so
> I am happy to read that I am not the only one having difficulties
> with the underlying system. :)

The Zope Book was slightly out of date at publication and quickly became
more so.  The Python source is more obscure than it should be because
the original authors were essentially learning Python as they developed
the prototype.  The Python Labs move to Zope Corp. should lead to
improvements over time.

The Zope protoype was useful despite the less than elegant
implementation and Zope Corp. seems to have built a viable business
helping customers creat custom web sites and web applications with it.
They don't seem to have been successful enough to take time off from
making money to rearchitect Zope ;-).

--
  _    Steven H. Rogers, PhD.
<_`   email: steve@REDACTED
| \   "A language that doesn't affect the way you think about
       programming is not worth knowing." - Alan Perlis