A plea for help from Erlang gurus

Taavi Talvik taavi@REDACTED
Thu Dec 18 17:05:29 CET 2003

On 18 Dec 2003, Luke Gorrie wrote:

> Taavi Talvik <taavi@REDACTED> writes:
>
> > Erlang is almost perfect match with it's pattern matching, guard
> > tests and simple enough syntax.
>
> Considered AWK? It has a nice pattern matching syntax, first-class
> associative arrays, and no restrictions on guards.

To be honest - no. AWK has no database, no snmp.

Current working idea is following:

	event source -> annotation process ->
	-> classification/correlation process

event source:
	collects events either from snmp traps, snmp measurements
	or some strange 3th party source

annotation process:
	adds information to event based of fact source (database)
	or programmatically

	match cisco_1234 specific event
		match interface down event
			query database for customer info (based on
			portindex)
				add customer information
			query specific router for last 15 minute
			statistics
				add statistics information

	match on customer importance
		add "red color"
	..

classification/correlation:
	something similiar to above, but using existing
	events as one fact store.

Currently this is done in pure eElang. In my dreams I wanted elegant
matching (and properties access) functionality and still keeping
power of language.

best regards,
taavi