Small poll

James Hague jamesh@REDACTED
Wed Dec 17 20:49:17 CET 2003

I've been following this thread with interest.

My gut feeling is that it's a can of worms that's best left closed.  Why
warn about this case, but not slightly more complex cases?  Depending on the
kind of optimizations the compiler does, you might be able to get warnings
about some of the these, but you'll still never get constant propagation
across module boundaries, for example.  And "a + 42" as a legitimate mistake
on the programmer's part is much, much rarer than a simple fat-fingering of
the name of a function in a another module and having the compiler accept it
anyway (note: I'm not suggesting that this should be addressed!).

James