Distel, the other way around

Luke Gorrie luke@REDACTED
Wed Dec 17 15:12:57 CET 2003

"Vlad Dumitrescu" <vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED> writes:

> Well, I'm not really a Moz heavy user, but they have no separate shell, the
> whole UI is done inside Emacs. I'd not recommend going that far (like Joachim
> pointed out).

But there's no such thing as going "too far" in adding better
Emacs-based support for Erlang. It makes Emacs users happy, and it
doesn't affect anybody else.

It sounds like Oz _only_ supports Emacs? That's a decision with more
serious consequences (i.e. only tasteful programmers will use it ;-).

> Another way is to have on the Erlang side a known connection point and let the
> Emacs process register itself. Then we can create an Erlang wrapper around it.

Yes, that is a better idea! Emacs could say something like:

  (erl-send-rpc 'node@REDACTED 'erlang_rpc 'start_link (list erl-self))

meaning: rpc:cast(node@REDACTED, erlang_rpc, start_link, [self()])).

Then in erlang_rpc.erl:

  start_link(EmacsPid) ->