Pgagmas (was Re: Small poll)

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Thu Dec 11 10:09:44 CET 2003

Well ...

	a + 42

IS legal code, it might be part of a test suit to test that the
run-time exception handling stuff works.

We need pragmas :-)

	a + 42  generates a hard compiler error (not like to today)
	        and refuses to compile ie your (3)

	PRAGMA deliberate_error
	    a + 42
	END

	works like (1)

This is what I called "intentionality" in my thesis :-) - the thing is
you don't know why the programmer wrote 42+a - there are two cases

	a) The programmer knew it was an error, or,
	b) It was an error

Adding a pragma allows the best of both worlds, :-)

/DrJoe :-)