atoms vs. integers

Lennart Öhman lennart.ohman@REDACTED
Tue Dec 9 05:39:19 CET 2003

Hi!
(a lot cut away... :-)
> What about sending these over the wire then in distributed messages to
> other nodes?  I'm going to use Erlang distribution rather than UBF or

Try doing term_to_binary/1 on what you intend to send and you'll see what
you are really sending.

> On a related note, how do bigints compare to just using a tuple of
> small ints or a binary?  I'm thinking about both term storage and

http://www.erlang.org/doc/r9c/doc/efficiency_guide/part_frame.html

Integer (big numbers) 	3..N words
Tuple 	2 words + the size of each element

Lennart Ohman                   phone   : +46-8-587 623 27
Sjoland & Thyselius Telecom AB  cellular: +46-70-552 6735
Sehlstedtsgatan 6               fax     : +46-8-667 8230
SE-115 28 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN     email   : lennart.ohman@REDACTED