Erlang on OS X

Kent Boortz kent@REDACTED
Fri Aug 22 09:16:32 CEST 2003

Dave McMahon <TriumphX75@REDACTED> writes:
> I'm using an iMac DVSE (400MHz G3, 640Mb OS X 10.2.6)
>
> When I run the Wings3D loader it hands off to beam, which then takes
> about 30 minutes to actually display anything on screen. I downloaded
> the precompiled version of Erlang/OTP and found that when I run erl
> from the terminal, it's a similar story. It seems to work, eventually.

To help finding the problem you could run

  % ktrace -d -f 2.out erl
  <Control-C after 2 minutes>

  % ktrace -d -f 10.out erl
  <Control-C after 10 minutes>

  % ktrace -d -f 20.out erl
  <Control-C after 20 minutes>

and send the *.out files to me (or even better put them up under a web
server or ftp server somewhere and send me the links, the files may be
huge).

The *.out files are kernel traces that can be viewed with "kdump".
This may give us a hint where time is spent during the startup,

kent