records generated from UBF

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Tue Apr 15 16:25:43 CEST 2003

Since the topic came up... :-)

I like the programming-by-contract idea very much. I have though some
wonderings about UBF(B):

- in a real-life environment, there are more than two cooperating instances,
and also the 'client' and 'server' roles may be fuzzy. Also a request may
not be mapped to a succesion of query-answer message pairs. As far as I can
see, UBF(B) can't handle other cases than 1-to-1 strict client-to-server.

- trying to solve the issues I mentioned before makes everything very messy,
but at the same time it makes a solution more valuable. If I am not
confused, the result would be something of a mix between SDL and MSC which I
think was tried (at least as a thought experiment) for Erlang, without too
good results.

One of the big problems of using MSC (and SDL) is that really useful tools
are commercial and cost heaps. The free ones I found are okay, up to a point
- on the other hand they can be extended. Maybe it would be interesting
think about that?

best regards,
Vlad