Influence of Remote Management Protocols in Large Scale SW Design.

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Thu Oct 24 17:24:46 CEST 2002

I had posted this to c.l.f a few days ago, after which  several friends
& colleagues suggested I also email the list. Some of the material is a
bit old (Talk about SNMP V2, etc) as it is based on work initiated in
1996, but the main concepts on large scale SW design, reusability and
information encapsulation in Erlang are still valid, especially if you
are running projects on the same scale as Ericsson does. As an anonymous
Erlanger  once said, 'it is all about common sense, the rest is just
technology'.  The same applies to what I wrote...

 From c.l.f:

I thought my thesis might be of interest to some of you out there. It
deals with how standardised management protocols such as Corba or SNMP
influence the software architecture in large scale development projects
using Erlang, and how this influence can be avoided and isolated.  I go
through examples of several large scale projects written in Erlang
(Including the AXD301). The thesis is a bit old, as I took my time in
handing it in (As we were implementing what I describe), but regardless
is still relevant in the industry.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask.

You can find an html and a pdf version it at
http://www.erlang-consulting.com/erlangprotocols.html

Francesco
--
http://www.erlang-consulting.com