Windows build

Kent Boortz kent@REDACTED
Tue Oct 15 15:14:30 CEST 2002

"Vlad Dumitrescu" <vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED> writes:
> I know I have complained before, but it is a nagging problem for me... Not
> being able to compile Erlang on Windows is troublesome for me and what I'd
> like to ask those who have better knowledge about the build process is:
>
> - What would it take to make it build under CygWin? If werl.exe is the
> problem, I say let's get rid of it (for now, at least).

As usual I can't say when and help from others are of course welcome
but at some point we want to move to a native build on Windows using
cygwin. The main reason is to improve stability of the daily build and
test of OTP we do at Ericsson. Now we mix a bootstrap build on Unix
with sending commands to a small rsh-like program on an Windows
machine and there are to many things that can go wrong making
successful builds on Windows much lower then for the Unix builds.

There has been at least two efforts to create a native build on
Windows. I know the bootstrap process had problems with the temporary
emulator in cygwin being unusable slow but cygwin may have improved
since. Another solution would be to use a pre-built "stand alone
erlang executable" for the first bootstrap stage(s). There may be
other solutions as well. One of the most important aspect for us is
that we want the Windows and Unix builds could share the same make
files,

kent