Passing in record name to a function

Willem Broekema willem@REDACTED
Mon Oct 7 01:08:30 CEST 2002

Louis Stamsma wrote:
 > I would like to write a generic function that updates a field in a
 > record (returning a new version of the record). For this purpose I would
 > like to give the function a parameter indicating which field to update.
 > Is this possible ?

You can't access a record field by using a variable for the field name. It
must be a fixed field name (atom) instead.

However, you could simulate such a function, by passing the value of
'record_info(fields, your_record)' as a parameter, like I did here:
<http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200205/msg00111.html>

- Willem