mysterious GS 1.4.0 problems

Chris Pressey cpressey@REDACTED
Tue Mar 26 01:23:07 CET 2002

Follow-up on this: the version of GS is apparently not the problem.  I am
having the same problems now with the older version of GS.  The problem is
with the backend (gs-1.4.0/priv/tcl/bin/tclsh76.exe and
gs-1.4.0/priv/tcl/bin/wish42.exe).

The exact same version of Erlang and the exact same version of the GS
backend is installed on two computers running the exact same version of
Windows NT.  However on one computer, all calls to

  gs:read(ListBox, items)

fail due to the backend returning an integer which is way out of range for
what the (Erlang) backend wants (it wants 0-4 or so, the port program
returns numbers like 48 or 56 for no fathomable reason.)

It might be a problem with DLL's used by tclsh76.exe and wish42.exe.  If I
have time to dig into this further I'll post my findings here.

In the meantime I've worked around it by replacing calls to
gs:read(ListBox, items) with calls to an iterative function like

read_items(ListBox) ->
  read_items(ListBox, gs:read(ListBox, size)).
read_items(ListBox, 0) ->
  [];
read_items(ListBox, I) ->
  [gs:read(ListBox, {get, I}) | read_items(ListBox, I-1)].

This is of course much less efficient, but at least it works.

Chris

--
Bishop Squarepeg Roundhole, BSR
DICK c1d4-2 s:(*) a1973 Comp3d6+1$>? P(robot_sex_slavery) E#=$ F* R?