yaws

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Tue Jun 25 14:54:02 CEST 2002

Luke,

> > This is pretty impressive yes. On my somewhat more humble
> 440MhZ Ultrasparc
> > I was getting 600 pages per second from yaws compared to 60
> static pages per
> > second from Apache (using the apache benchmark program ab).
>
> I'm curious about Yaws dynamic content vs. Yaws static content, or
> Yaws dynamic content vs. another server's dynamic content. Seems to me
> that dynamic content _should_ be faster than static because it doesn't
> need to access the filesystem. It would only be slower if the dynamic
> stuff is expensive in itself, which is going to depend on what the
> page really does.

I've just tried yaws with a static page and it seems to make little
difference to the result - reading from the filesystem cache is pretty quick
it seems.

> I reckon a cool idea for a mini-benchmark is writing equivalent
> simple-but-not-trivial dynamic pages in several languages/servers and
> benchmarking those. There's a nifty example of this at
> http://www.orionserver.com/benchmarks/benchmark.html (but long out of
> date now).
>
> What would be _really_ interesting is e.g. Yaws/Mnesia vs
> IIS/SQLServer or Oracle's appserver/database :-)

Indeed, that would be very interesting. We are working on a non trivial
project intended to "work alongside" an existing system running weblogic/db2
which is experiencing some performance problems - our initial prototype is
looking quite promising :-)

I don't have access to any of these other systems though for a formal
benchmark type activity..

Sean

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: