Erlang killer app?,

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Mon Jul 29 22:41:52 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I will add my two and a half pesetas worth of, erm... wisdom, to what has
already been said :-)

In my humble opinion, a wider developer base wold be beneficial because
there would be new and fresh ideas streaming in. In order to reach this
wider audience, one or several "killer apps" might help.

I think it might be helpful to list some things that I think would serve the
purpose (either per se, or as a base for future development).

    - servers for more protocols than HTTP: FTP, SMTP, IMAP, etc. Also
WebDAV, Web Services. Even better, a "gen_xxx" framework for writing such
servers. Ease of use should be balanced with efficiency.
    - clients for the above.

    - Windows users can't compile the sources at the moment - no unified
heap, no possibilities for hacking the runtime. Hopefully it will be gcc
based, not VC.
    - better support under Emacs, integrating syntax_tools, igor, distel.
Even better, Ermacs! (and it wouldn't hurt if Ermacs would work for Windows
too)

    - the already mentioned massive multiplayer games - with truly alive
entities, distribution, etc
    - a better graphical UI kit. Maybe with alive widgets!? Maybe even a GUI
builder (a la Delphi/Kylix)?

Just some ideas, please feel free to add more. Last night I thought there
were more of them :-) About the last one, I might be able to show something
at the user conference, but there are many question marks about my available
spare time, so don't hold your breath.

Best regards,
Vlad