How to comm Between to erlang Modules .

Ingela Anderton ingela@REDACTED
Fri Jul 26 12:38:21 CEST 2002

Well probably this is just a unhappy choice of word from your side (as
Lennart pointed out), but this seems to be a common misconception. So
I would like to press on the fact that you do not communicate between
two Erlang modules, however you may communicate between two Erlang
processes. I think the distinction between the two is very
significant. It is true that a single module may contain all the code
that a process runs but this is not always the case, and even when
this is the case there is a big difference. You may start many
process instances that are implemented by the same module. Lets say
the process code is defined by the module test and has a state
variable that tells you how many messages the process has
received. Consider the following:

1> ProcessA = test:start().
2> ProcessB = test:start().
3> ProcessA ! {self(), hello}.
4> ProcessB ! {self(), hello}.
5> ProcessB ! {self(), hello_again}.

Now ProcessA says that the state variable has the value 1 but ProcessB
say it has the value 2. This is as it should be. Now if a process
and a module where the same thing this would have been very odd, but
fortunatly they are not. Hope I made my point.

Good luck with your programming :)

--
/m.v.h Ingela

//The highway of life is always under construction. //

Ericsson AB - OTP team