Erlang/OTP and the Web Services Universe

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Wed Oct 31 22:47:56 CET 2001

Steven H. Rogers (shrogers@REDACTED) wrote:
> Erlang/OTP is not mentioned in either article, but seems to be an very
> viable alternative, so I have a couple of questions for the Erlang/OTP
> community.
>
> - Is there a strategy for promoting Erlang/OTP as a general web services
> platform?
>
> - Are there any initiatives to support .NET and/or J2EE
> interoperability?

In fact I really think that web services are a win for functionnal
programming and for Erlang in particular.
The way to architect a distributed application based on web services is
very similar to the way you would build an Erlang application  ...
except the fact that you get extra feature with Erlang:
- Fault tolerance,
- High-availability mecanism,
- Fast development,
- ...

For more information, you can have a look at my slides from the Firenze
Erlang Workshop:

http://www.erlang-fr.org/en-area/pli01_Firenze/index.html

So to answer your questions:
- Yes I think that OTP is a viable alternative to .NET and J2EE.
- Yes I am planning to add mecanism to interoperate with SOAP services
  and probably J2EE.

If you are interested, maybe we could see if we could do something
together.

--
Mickaël Rémond
 http://www.erlang-fr.org/