Graphical UI

Bjorn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 19:23:33 CEST 2001

"Vlad Dumitrescu" <vladdu@REDACTED> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been playing with the new Wings application and it's very cool, and I remembered an older plan of mine, namely having a nice GUI for Erlang programs... Using OpenGL would be a nice platform independent option, but SDL has a big flaw (when relating to Erlang): it only can handle one display surface per application, and thus only one SDL window may be present per Erlang node. (This is at least true for Windows, but should hold for any OS also). Using OpenGL directly requires a way to create a top-level window from the underlying OS...
>
> Now what I wonder is:
> - has anyone else give this any thought?

Yes. But see below...

> - is creating a binding to an UI toolkit (like for example FLTK) something anyone is working on or thinking about?

There is an project to create an Erlang binding to GTK:

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/erlgtk/

If you only want a good interface to a GUI on Unix, erlgtk is the way to go.

I don't how well erlgtk works on Windows (I haven't had time to build myself
on Windows yet).

Erlgtk includes an OpenGL binding, but I don't how that compares speed-wise
to the OpenGL binding in ESDL. For Wings, I need a fast OpenGL binding.

/Bjorn
--
Björn Gustavsson            Ericsson Utvecklings AB
bjorn@REDACTED      ÄT2/UAB/F/P