Graphical UI

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 10:51:37 CEST 2001

Hi everyone,

I've been playing with the new Wings application and it's very cool, and I remembered an older plan of mine, namely having a nice GUI for Erlang programs... Using OpenGL would be a nice platform independent option, but SDL has a big flaw (when relating to Erlang): it only can handle one display surface per application, and thus only one SDL window may be present per Erlang node. (This is at least true for Windows, but should hold for any OS also). Using OpenGL directly requires a way to create a top-level window from the underlying OS...

Now what I wonder is:
- has anyone else give this any thought?
- is creating a binding to an UI toolkit (like for example FLTK) something anyone is working on or thinking about?

I am trying to make some time to try to see if I could contribute with such a beast, but that's not a promise ;) and if anyone else is already on his way, it would be nice to not reinvent the wheel.

best regards,
Vlad