Unified heap (was: Re: R8B PRE-RELEASES)

rv@REDACTED rv@REDACTED
Sun Oct 21 21:27:59 CEST 2001

This discussion about unified heaps has made me happy.

I have been advocating unified heaps for the last 13 years and I have
always felt that the multiples heaps were a kludge to get reasonable
gc preformance, at least some of the time.  I have even done a few
Erlang implementations based on it, the results were promising but
more work was needed.  I could not get any support for the work,
however, so I was unable to keep up with Erlang development.

The really big boost was that message passing was _fast_!  _Always_!
You don't have to avoid many processes because you would be sending
large messages all the time.  Here you could send all the messages you
wanted to.  This did expose a misfeature in Erlang devlopment(*).

There are definitely problems in doing a good implementation.  The
HIPE groups claim that a stop-and-gc of the whole heap still gives
acceptable gc performance does not hold in real applications.
Especially if you use large ETS tables.  You have to be much more
cunning.  I had some incremental collectors with bounded time gc
breaks that that were truly non-disruptive, but there were problems.
I think that the final one based from 1995 on a modified version of a
gc scheme by Joe Armstrong and me was the way to go.  It was truly
scalable and handled things like collectable atom tables and (large)
constant data structures easily and efficiently.  I had an efficient
ETS extension which ran without any copying planned.

I don't think that it is possible to drop in a good, incremental gc
into a BEAM without any extra work.  There are many places where you
must "keep your tongue right in your mouth".  It is not difficult, but
you have to be aware.

Joes and my algorithm is described in IWMM'95 (International Workshop
on memory management).  If anybody is interested I'll explain my
extensions.

Anyway I hope the HIPE people (or someone else) can do more with this.

	Robert

(*) Erlang processes have slowly been getting heavier as more features
have been added to them.  My dream has always been to have extremely
light weight processes, in every respect, and then code new features
using extra processes.  It may not always be possible to do this.

P.S. I am not at Bluetail/Alteon/Nortel anymore, just using the mail
address.