fix required for HTML docs?

Roger Price rprice@REDACTED
Sun Nov 18 02:20:06 CET 2001

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Daniel Solaz wrote:

> I'm one of those guys that prefer to have colors "upside down"...
> ..., the Erlang/OTP HTML documentation ... all pages have BODY tags
> that set the background color to white but do not define text and link
> colors, so browser settings are applied producing white text on white
> background

The frames in the Erlang documentation currently have body declarations of
the form:

   <BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">

The correct solution is to remove all cosmetic markup, e.g. elements such
as <CENTER> and <FONT>, and attributes such as BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF", from
the source HTML.  The style for the entire documentation could then be
specified with one single CSS style sheet.  Daniel could change the style
sheet locally to get his "upside down" effect, and many others with
special needs could also be satisfied. See the W3C Web Accessibility
Initiative http://www.w3c.org/WAI/

Using this technique, I control the style of over 100 Mbyte of electronic
proceedings of the ACM Multimedia SIG using one small file. See
http://woodworm.cs.uml.edu/~rprice/ep/index.html

It also helps to check HTML pages using the free service at
http://validator.w3.org.  It is amazing how much HTML out there is broken.

Roger Price