Erlang Development Environment

David Gould davidg@REDACTED
Wed Mar 7 20:41:21 CET 2001

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 04:26:20PM +0100, Ulf Wiger wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Mats Cronqvist wrote:
>
> >2. bind the 'f1' (or any other key) to erlang-man-function
> >     i have this in my .emacs;
> >(setq erlang-root-dir "~/OTP"))
> >(add-hook 'erlang-mode-hook 'my-erlang-mode-hook)
> >(defun my-erlang-mode-hook ()
> >(local-set-key "\C-x\?" 'erlang-man-function))
> >
> >4. 'meta-.' should run the function erlang-find-tag (you could of
> >course bind a click to this function). it grabs the function name at
> >point and moves point to the function definition (possibly in a
> >different module).
>
> >you'll have to generate a tags file first, e.g. by running etags (in a
> >unix shell it's "etags *erl")
>

> Just a wild idea: I've looked at the TAGS format, and it's simple
> enough. It could be created as a side-effect as CCviewer builds
> its source code and hypertext link cache.
>
> If some elisp-savvy hacker could modify erlang.el so that it
> fetches TAGS information via HTTP as needed, perhaps this
> functionality could be made available without having to explicitly
> build a TAGS file; and your TAGS information would be able to adapt
> to what branch of the source code you're looking at.
>
> Tell me if I'm smoking something funny.

No, this could work. Of course it would not be particularly useful being
so emacs specific. If regular ctags format tags could be made so that
vi could use it too, well, that would be useful! ;-)

More seriously, vim is pretty configurable (ok, too configurable), and
there is already a vim syntax highlighter for Erlang. Is there any
interest in a real vim erlang mode?

-dg

--
David Gould                davidg@REDACTED               510 536 1443