Supervisor Strategy

Martin Logan martin@REDACTED
Tue Jul 10 20:16:19 CEST 2001

Hello, I have a project under development that consists of 2 supervisors and 4
supervised processes.

                  /     /   \
                 W  W   \
                               /   \
                             W   W

This is my current supervision tree.  I have one more process in this scheme,
it is an extremly temporary process. Thousands of them can be spawned and
killed in an hour.  The process is spawned in response to a packet recieved by
one of the workers.  My question to the list is this; is it proper form to
spawn the process via the worker directly with a spawn( I really don't care
about it after I spawn it so I would not be inclined to use a link) or should I
use the supervisors ability to dynamically spawn children with
supervisor:start_child?  What is more efficiant/robust/proper?

                                                        Thanks,
                                                        Martin Logan