JInterface

Ciaran Johnston Ciaran.Johnston@REDACTED
Tue Jan 9 20:08:36 CET 2001

The trouble with that is that there _is_ no JInterface with R5B, so we
can't use that one (or at least there is no documentation for it). We
are not adding software from R7B to R5B, we are integrating it into our
Java application. JInterface is a bunch of Java files that allow your
java application to appear as a node to an erlang node. Your Java
application can then send and receive messages with the erlang node, and
as far as the erlang node is concerned it is communicating with another
erlang node (at least this is my understanding - correct me if I'm wrong
:-)). Thus all we need is for the syntax of the messages to be
consistent from R5B to R7B (at least that is what we are hoping). Is
this the case?

Chris Williams wrote:

> Hi Ciaran,
> If you use R5B you havce to use jinteface (R5B) for it....
> If you use R7B you should use jinteface (R7B) for it....
> One can not coppy files from R7B to R5B this will not work and
> will not be supported by erlang/OTP and probably will not work!
> Ciaran Johnston wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >         I am looking at ways of interfacing a java application with an Erlang
> > node, and one of the better options appears to be JInterface. However
> > the situation we want to use it in offers a few possible sticking
> > points. Here's the lowdown:
> >
> > The Java application is running on a different system to the one running
> > the Erlang node(s). We want to be able to communicate from this system
> > to many other systems running an Erlang node. We don't want to have
> > Erlang in any form installed on the system running the Java. We came up
> > with this solution: to copy the Java source files from the R7B source
> > code and build the JInterface application locally, on the relevant
> > machine. We have done this but haven't managed to test it yet - we've
> > had no end of software configuration problems. Can anyone anticipate a
> > problem with this?
> >
> > Our other problem, a more worrying one, is the compatibility between R7B
> > and R5B - the Erlang nodes are all running R5B. Are there any
> > compatibility issues between these two versions bearing in mind that we
> > are only using JInterface to send messages between the Java application
> > and the Erlang node? In other words, can we do what we are trying to do?
> > As I mentioned, we haven't been able to test it here yet.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Ciaran.
>
> --
> Christopher Williams Phone:    +353 902 31365
> Ericsson Systems     ECN:      83021365
> Expertise Limited,   Mob:      +353 87 64 888 04
> Athlone,             Fax:      +353 902 31304
> Co.Westmeath,        http://nosc.eei.ericsson.se/pdu_access/Lynx
> Ireland              chris.williams@REDACTED

Ciaran Johnston
Ericsson Systems Expertise Ltd.,