Spatial indexing in mnesia

David Gould dg@REDACTED
Thu Jan 4 19:17:27 CET 2001

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 11:29:08AM -0600, Hal Snyder wrote:

> A little OT maybe, but BTW we have been using PostgreSQL r-trees to
> locate nearest service provider - customer dials 800 number for a
> retail chain, we get long/lat from his number, look up nearest store
> in (r-tree indexed) database, and connect. We even optimized the
> search by preloading spatial data sorted in Hilbert curve order.

Nice. It is good to see at least some people are using PostgreSQL
for some of its more advanced features, instead of just another SQL system.
Presorting is a big win too, when you can get away with it.

> The algorithms are subtle but not extremely lengthy - I bet the whole
> thing could be done nicely in Erlang/mnesia. Heck, maybe you could
> even use Erlang for some of the telephony...

Thats what I was thinking. If someone had the time or the need of course.

-dg

--
David Gould                                                 dg@REDACTED
SuSE, Inc.,  580 2cd St. #210,  Oakland, CA 94607          510.628.3380