Various (and almost completely unrelated) questions and opinions

Lon Willett Lon.Willett@REDACTED
Tue Feb 20 14:21:45 CET 2001

Robert Virding <rv@REDACTED> writes:

> Lon Willett <Lon.Willett@REDACTED> writes:
> >And while on the topic of useful language extensions: has anyone
> >implemented weak-reference ets tables? [snip]
>
> That would be very difficult as ets tables do NOT share their data with
> anything.  Each table creates a local copy of all data inserted in it
> and on lookup data is copied back.

Oops.  I knew that.  Some kind of weak reference would be handy
though.  (ets tables just jumped to mind because of familiarity with a
few lisp/scheme implementations of weak-reference hash-tables).

Hmmm.  Maybe a per-process table: put_weak and get_weak?

Oh well.  It's not so important.  Weak-references have always struck
me as rather a kludge anyway (but a useful kludge, for a certain
subset of problems).

/Lon