XML.com article on Functional Programming and XML

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Fri Feb 16 10:47:57 CET 2001

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Bijan Parsia wrote:
> Hey folks.
>
> I've written an overview article on Functional Programming and XML for
> XML.com, and it just came out!
>
> One of the things I specifically plug is Erlang, e.g., XMerL, IDX/Mnesia,
> etc.
>
> The article is very light in tone and aimed toward tantalizing folks
> unfamilar with FP. Please take a peek! And pass on any comments to me or
> the folks at ORA. Positive or negative feedback welcome.

Oh. This is in fact a very nice article.
The explaination of the relationship between functionnal programming langage
and XML is excellent.

In fact, I would be glad if you could allow me to translate this article in
french for my Erlang page, by giving you the proper credit.  (And I should
probably warn ORA that I did so...)

On the content side the explaination of XMLLambda and haXML was very useful
because I did not knew this tool.

Amongst the Erlang XML tools you now have the Sablatron binding, but I am
prettyt sure that you wrote your article before the release of this tool.

> I'm hoping to produce some more hands-on Erlang articles for XML.com
> (e.g., building a simple CMS on Inets, XMerL, and IDX/Mnesia), so if
> anyone has suggestions, material, outlines for articles they'd like to
> write :), drop me a line!

I have articles in mind about IDX-xmnesia. We are using this tool on real life
problem and we are using it to store production data so this is today
something more than a simple toy. But I agree with you that today, this is
more a developper oriented tool than a user oriented tool and we need to make
some effort to make it user/developper friendly and easy to use.

This could be a way to dig deeper into XML and Erlang programming and to
convince more XML people to have a look at Erlang.

So stay tune for more information on IDX-xmnesia.

--
Mickaël Rémond