Beam files, module beam_lib and source code

David Gould davidg@REDACTED
Wed Feb 14 21:28:12 CET 2001

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 11:59:53AM +0100, Robert Virding wrote:
> David Gould <davidg@REDACTED> writes:
> >On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 01:32:05PM +0100, Robert Virding wrote:
> >> Adding the fix for compile.erl which I posted a few weeks back to change
> >> the default behavior for debug_info in .beam files will not affect all
> >> the libraries built when building the system.  However, if size is
> >> important then replace bootstrap/lib/compiler-3.0.1/ebin/compile.beam
> >> with a modified compile.beam.  Next time the release is built then all
> >> the libraries will be stripped.  This saves about 40% of the size of
> >> the system.
> >
> >Seems like it should be simple to write a tool to strip a beam file, maybe
> >even the basis of one was posted a while back. Or am I missing something?
>
> Yes, of course, it would be quite easy to write one.  My main point was
> that I think the default should be to NOT include the debug info (which
> is in fact the complete source code) and have the user add it when
> needed.

Right. I didn't mean to dispute that the default should be off, I was just
thinking about stripping an existing build without rebuilding it....

-dg

--
David Gould                davidg@REDACTED               510 536 1443