Beam files, module beam_lib and source code

Robert Virding rv@REDACTED
Wed Feb 14 11:59:53 CET 2001

David Gould <davidg@REDACTED> writes:
>On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 01:32:05PM +0100, Robert Virding wrote:
>> Adding the fix for compile.erl which I posted a few weeks back to change
>> the default behavior for debug_info in .beam files will not affect all
>> the libraries built when building the system.  However, if size is
>> important then replace bootstrap/lib/compiler-3.0.1/ebin/compile.beam
>> with a modified compile.beam.  Next time the release is built then all
>> the libraries will be stripped.  This saves about 40% of the size of
>> the system.
>
>Seems like it should be simple to write a tool to strip a beam file, maybe
>even the basis of one was posted a while back. Or am I missing something?

Yes, of course, it would be quite easy to write one.  My main point was
that I think the default should be to NOT include the debug info (which
is in fact the complete source code) and have the user add it when
needed.

The fix I sent out did this, and the second message just said how to
get this behaviour when building the system.

Now, maybe, even if you have the fix you would like to build the system
with all the debug info.  There should definitely
be a config flag for this, but the default should be off. IMAO

	Robert