Compiling R8B under OS X

Sean Hinde earlyriser@REDACTED
Tue Dec 4 01:15:26 CET 2001

Excellent, thanks Kent.

> I have just built R8B on Mac OS X 10.1. I haven't run any test cases
> just manage to get a prompt. I don't have time to do any testing on
> Mac OS X at the moment.

Well, wings3d works great (after dealing with flat_namespace and
grabbing an old version of libsdl (1.2.1) out of their cvs archive.

> I went the "easy way" making the linking work as in Mac OS X 10.0. I
> don't understand "framework", "bundle" or other Mac OS X concepts and
> I don't understand the new "two-level namespace" concept used in Mac
> OS X 10.1. Maybe someone else can supply a patch that does linking and

Yes, it's pretty darn strange. Especially that there are two entirely
different types of shared library - some you link to using -l and others
with -framework. Wow.

One question - the nature of the errors in sys.c suggests that that code
is not used by any other platform - is it really a case of fixing this
code or do you suspect there might be a configure problem?

Thanks again,

Sean