Alternative compiler messages

Robert Virding rv@REDACTED
Wed Apr 25 15:09:30 CEST 2001

Thomas Lindgren <thomasl@REDACTED> writes:

>Here's an alternative way of reporting compiler errors and warnings
>that I have found useful. What does it do?
>
>- Filename is reported once, rather than per compiler message. This
>  reduces clutter when absolute paths are used;
>
>- Warnings about unused functions are summarized into a single line,
>  rather than one line per function;
>
>- Errors about undefined functions are reported once per undef.function
>  (giving all the lines at once), rather than once per line.

The original way of reporting errors was chosen so as to be compatible
with CC and GCC.  The rationale being it would be what people were
used to and would (hopefully) work under Emacs when using the commands
to step over errors.

The other two may be beneficial but the grouping should probably be
done in erl_lint where the errors are generated.

These changes, and others for presenting compile info, could be added
to the standard system if some form of consensus is reached.  so
please try it and come with an opinion,

        Robert