Suggestion: New table iterators

Bjorn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Thu Oct 19 11:29:47 CEST 2000

Robert Virding <rv@REDACTED> writes:

> Bjorn Gustavsson <bjorn@REDACTED> writes:
> >I suggest that we add
> >
> >	ets:foldl(Fun, Acc, Table)
> >	ets:foldr(Fun, Acc, Table)
> >
> >	dets:foldl(Fun, Acc, Table)
> >	dets:foldr(Fun, Acc, Table)
> >
> >	mnesia:foldl(Fun, Acc, Table)
> >	mnesia:foldr(Fun, Acc, Table)
> >
> >for iteration over tables.
> >
> >The difference between the foldl/3 and foldr/3 is the order in which the
> >table elements are accessed. foldl/3 accesses from the first element to
> >the last, while foldr/3 accesses the element from last to to first.
> >Both functions are tail-recursive. The order is important only for ordered tables.
>
> Definitely YES!  But I am not really convinced you need l/r.  Perhaps a
> just fold/3 as well?  I generally think it is a good idea to add
> iterators over to make it easier and, more importantly, clearer what
> you are doing.

Ok, maybe order isn't that important. It would definitely be simpler
and clearer having just

	ets:fold(Fun, Acc, Table)
	dets:fold(Fun, Acc, Table)
	mnesia:fold(Fun, Acc, Table)

It would also avoid some of the ordering problems Ulf mentioned in his
mail (bug in ets:last/1, Mnesia transactions).

Is anyone against implmentering fold/3 instead of fold[rl]/3?

--
Björn Gustavsson            Ericsson Utvecklings AB
bjorn@REDACTED      ÄT2/UAB/F/P