Suggested Example

Jeffrey Straszhiem stimuli@REDACTED
Wed Oct 11 03:45:10 CEST 2000

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 11:15:32PM -0400, Steve Elkins wrote:

> Summing up, dshb is a very skeletal app, cosb has a little meat, and
> udp_spc is the forerunner of cosb.  Supplemental reading would be
> chapters 5, 7, and 8 of Design Principles, as well as the relevant
> man pages.  And sys:trace/2 is wonderful.

Thanks, these examples were very helpful.  I even got the funky
sys:trace thing to work :)

Which, by the way, says a lot for Erlang with regards to ease of
learning.  I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks now, and
not only do I understand a simple example like this, I've been
crawling through the library code for the behaviors and, while I
certainly don't get all of the detail, I basically get what is going
on.  It helps that I've spend the last six months playing with Haskell
(believe it or not I understand monads :), so the FP paradigm is clear
to me, but when the internal library code is relatively
straightforward is a great thing -- of course what I should say is
when the internal library code *can* be relatively straightforward is
a great thing.

Erlang is truly easy to learn.

That being said, I still can't quite make sense out of the lower
levels of I/O.  That is the difference between the io module and
Ports.  And what the heck is a process group? :)

-- Jeffrey Straszheim              |  A sufficiently advanced
-- Systems Engineer, Programmer    |  regular expression is
-- http://www.shadow.net/~stimuli  |  indistinguishable from
-- stimuli AT shadow DOT net       |  magic