Python in Erlang

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Mon Nov 20 19:54:26 CET 2000

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, sgelkins@REDACTED wrote:

> Thanks, I should have said that I knew about this.  I have some users who
> would like to use Python as their scripting language (everyone understands
> OOP, or at thinks so), but the application cries out for Erlang: lots of
> nodes, lots of threads per node, reliability a must, etc.  So what I'm
> considering is calling Python from Erlang to handle user scripting and
> letting Erlang handle the rest.
>
>> Finally, we are just made a specific API to call our Erlang from Python via
>> socket communication. This approach is working well for us. The datatype
>> are very similar and are easy to map, so the datatype conversion is ok.
>
> And something in the opposite direction might work for us.

I think the opposite is far less interesting because:

- You can call os:command
- You can use Erlang ports if you need to exchange data between apps. This
  approach maps perfectly with Erlang way of building apps (Message passing).

In fact, the port could be wrapped into python classes to make it easier and
almost transparent, but we don't need yet to call python code from Erlang.

(Maybe the next step, who knows ?)

--
Mickaël Rémond          -  mickael.remond@REDACTED
                        -  http://IDEALX.com