Emulator stopping during mnesia writes

dgould@REDACTED dgould@REDACTED
Thu May 11 03:30:08 CEST 2000

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 12:18:29AM +0200, Klacke wrote:

> > k> In the longer run we have an async driver in the pipe which
> > k> schedules job to kernel threads. (if the os have them)
> >
> > I've noticed a general reluctance not to introduce features that
> > aren't portable across all the platforms supported by Erlang.
>
> Well this one is pretty portable. In particular it is implementable
> on basically all platforms. Those platforms that don't support
> kernel threads (BSD*) will run just fine, except that the
> operation will not be performed asyncronously. It'll be just great
> on Solaris, win32, and now on linux with the pthreads/clone kit.
>

> Besides, we're not the otp crew, we're just another company
> that use erlang to deliver applications to our paying customers.
> If we need a feature, we implement it, if then that feature is
> not implemntable on , say VxWorks, well ....
>
> We ship the stuff we do to the otp crew and if they like it they
> take it. If they don't like it and we desperately need it, we need to
> reintroduce our fixes into the releases that come from the otp crew.

There is nothing wrong with using a whole process to do asynch I/O
operations if threads are not availible. Many high performance systems
do this. And if the I/O process segv's recovery is probably easier.

--

David Gould                                             dgould@REDACTED
SuSE, Inc.,  580 2cd St. #210,  Oakland, CA 94607          510.628.3380